Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Rough Edit

Has we had filmed rather late it was a bit of a rush to get a rough edit and sound design ready for Chris for our tutorial on Wednesday. Valarie had done a wonderful job on the edit and got it done to a very high standard, although I only had one day for the sound rush, the edit was done to such a high standard hopefully after the feedback we get of Chris the changes would be very minor and it would give me plenty of time to do the sound design.


I began the sound design by importing a room atmosphere, the atmosphere it self is very exciting however when they is no dialogue or any Foley sounds, its always better to have a quite atmos then to hear nothing. The atmos changes as the boy go down stairs into the kitchen, with this atmos you can hear the buzz and hum from the fridge and freezer. After adding the atmos I then added the track by Pocket Satellite, the band had happily allowed us to use they song within our film. As I hadn’t had time to add all the sounds I had the song playing throughout the 2 minutes piece however in the final film I will only have song at the end of the film.


Afterwards added markers on the timeline every time we changed location or what I thought was an important cut. I watched piece and made note of each clip, then located with all the sound files, this proved to be a bit of a problem as sometimes the clapperboard was missed or the same scene was said twice. This was quite confusing but as we recorded the film chronological order the clips from the zoom and the Canon followed on from each other, I decided not to name the clips, as it would put the clips out of order. In the longer shoots this is something we all need to be aware off and make sure we do the clapperboard at the start or at the end of the scene.  After locating the clips I then added made a new track and added it to the time line.


For the two minutes rush I decided to focus on the first part of the film, finding the clips then adding them to the timeline.  I added the clips of from the squeak of the bed and the sound of the rocket ship. I really wanted to explore this idea of a child’s imagination, and using that to help tell his part of the story. On the shoot I recorded Louie saying things that an astronaut would say, “blast off”, “Huston we’ve got problem”, “one small step from man…” and finally “blast off” I was keen to put these little sound clips throughout the film. I really liked having a count down at the start of the film as Dylan first gets this idea of going to space and then ending the film with him saying blast off as he leaves his room and continues his space adventure. Overall I’m quite happy with the rush, although nowhere near complete I think it clearly shows our emotion of excitement. My favorite part of the film has to be the song as I think it works really well with the film, it really complements the visuals and creates a really lovely tone, the song also gets quicker as Dylan gets more and more excited.

               

No comments:

Post a Comment